Translate

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Experiment #4: Cocoa Coconut Almond Balls

I have this recipe that I've saved since last year.  It's from deliciousliving magazine from December 2011.  The recipe Cocoa-Almond No-Bake Cookies intrigued me because it was vegan, and didn't require any baking.

It was a quick recipe that I used this year as my holiday food gift to my co-workers.  I adjusted it per my usual way, which is to say lowering the sugar.  I think my recipe title is a better description to the recipe, since the recipe does not mention the coconut which is two of the ingredients.
Cocoa Coconut Almond Balls 
(adapted from Cocoa-Almond No-Bake Cookies by Trina Kaufman)
Place the following ingredients in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon organic sugar (Original called for 1 cup sugar)
1/3 cup almond milk (original called for unsweetened almond milk)
1/2 cup organic virgin coconut oil

Bring to a boil and boil for 90 seconds stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and stir in:
3/4 cup almond butter
2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats, blitzed in a food processor (the original recipe used quick-cooking oats)
1/2 cup organic unsweetened coconut flakes, blitzed in a food processor (the original recipe used shredded coconut)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Coconut flakes after a few pulses in the food processor:

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto a cookie sheet.  Chill 30 minutes to set.  Store in a refrigerator.

I made these balls with a rounded teaspoon and made 62, but I also made them larger and the recipe made 30.  I thought the larger size was more satisfying. The balls were 2 bites instead of one bite.

The recipe was a hit.  It was the most simple holiday food gift I've ever made.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment