Translate

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Experiment #3: One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes

I've been making these one bowl chocolate cupcakes for almost a year now and they are wonderful for that quick and easy chocolate fix.  I found Peppermint Bark Baking Bits at Trader Joe's this year and thought that I could add this peppermint chocolate to the cupcakes for a bit of seasonal flavor.

The original recipe is easy enough and can be made in an hour.  Perfect for a quick birthday cake or cupcakes. It makes about 18 cupcakes.

When looking at a new baking recipe, I follow a few rules to make me feel a little be better about indulging.  I replace some of the white flour with whole wheat flour, often I can replace half the white flour with wheat without too much difference. I also try reduce the amount of sugar, often reducing it by at least a third.

One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes (adapted from Martha Stewart.com)
3/4 cup white all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
6 tablespoons sugar (reduced from 1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons sunflower oil (Original called for safflower oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Toppings: 1/2 cup Chocolate chips, chunks, or Peppermint Bark Baking Bits (Added to recipe)

Preheat oven to 350. 

I started with the dry ingredients in a bowl and vigorously whisk the ingredients to make sure they are all incorporated.  (The original recipe calls for sifting the dry ingredients, but I never sift my ingredients.    I always just whisk to incorporate.)

Then add warm water, buttermilk, oil, vanilla extract, and eggs (I crack the eggs into the liquid measuring cup I used to measure the water and buttermilk because a bit of egg shell in your baked goods is the worst!),  and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. You can add chocolate here or use on top.

Add to muffin pan with liners filling 2/3 full.  I topped each cupcake with about a teaspoon of chocolate chunks or peppermint baking bits.

I filled the cupcake liners that were red with chocolate chunks and the green cupcake liners with peppermint bark baking bits.  They were delicious!

Results and updates;
I also baked this recipe in a bundt cake pan and it takes about 30 minutes to bake.  

If you want to bake this in mini loaf pans, you will need three pans and these bake also in 25 minutes.  

As always I would check them before that because every oven is different! :)


I created a cupcake carrier so that my husband could bring them to work.
Here's the link to the details:
http://ufosclearingoutmycraftcloset.blogspot.com/2012/12/holiday-treat-carrier.html

The Original Recipe at Martha Stewart:

http://www.marthastewart.com/282243/one-bowl-chocolate-cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment