Translate

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Experiment #8: Mediterranean Lentil Barley Salad

I had an urge for a healthy meal today and I remembered that I had a recipe for a Mediterranean Lentil Salad.

The recipe is from a free newsletter from New Leaf Community Markets called Flavor from November 2012.   The recipe itself is from Stephanie Richardson, of San Jose who adapted it from a blog called Kalyn's Kitchen.

I adapted it from what I had on hand but mostly stayed true to the recipe.


Mediterranean Lentil Salad
Serves 6

1/2 cup organic bulk green lentils
1/2 cup organic bulk pearl barley
1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup red onion chopped
1/2 cup Belfiore feta cheese, small diced (or crumbled)
1 red bell pepper chopped
10 kalamata olives, chopped
1/2 medium cucumber, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon simply organic italian salad dressing mix (updated March 1)
2 lemons, juiced
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic
1 Tbsp. olive oil

1. Combine the lentils and barley with 2 cups of water in a medium sized pan and cook for 20 minutes until tender.  Drain and set aside; let cool for 20 minutes or more (I let them cool 10 minutes.)

2.  Mix together the lentils and barley with the italian seasoning, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic and olive oil tossing to coat.

3.  Add rest of ingredients, tomatoes, onion, feta, bell pepper, cucumber, and olives and gently combine.

The original recipe had 12 leaves of mint  for garnish, which I didn't have, but I think probably would have been a great addition.

It was a delicious success.  I will definitely make this recipe again.  Delightful mediterranean flavors and hearty healthy vegetarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment