Translate

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Experiment #5: Vegan Trail Mix Cookies

We had a friend come over to watch some football today and I decided that we needed some snacks.  I've been eyeing this recipe for a while.  Another recipe that is adapted from the delicious living magazine from December 2011.  It seemed easy enough. So here it is.

Per my usual I reduced the sugar from the original recipe and I didn't have enough coconut so that was inadvertently reduced.

3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour (The original recipe calls for whole wheat pastry flour)
1 cup shredded carrots (2 carrots)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup organic sugar
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sunflower oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped dark chocolate
1 cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix together flours, carrot, coconut, sugar, oats, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together water, oil, and vanilla.  Add wet mixture to dry.


Mix to combine.  Fold in the chocolate, pecans, and cranberries.

Scoop batter by the tablespoon onto a baking sheet.  I pat the cookies together to form a nicer looking mound as the shredded carrot tended to stick out.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden.  I found it hard to tell when these were done.  I broke a few in half to see if it was cooked through.


I really enjoyed these cookies.  Maybe a little too much!  Packed with a delicious variety of flavors, it will be a hit with friends and family.  They don't even have to know that these cookies are vegan.

Link to original recipe:
http://deliciousliving.com/recipes/vegan-trail-mix-cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment