Translate

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Experiment #14: Banana Peanut Butter Cookies

I am on a bit of a cookie kick.  I think I'll stop after this one.  I don't want to get too crazy with the baked goods.  I want to eat a bit more healthy.  I have had a bit of sweet tooth since my pregnancy.  I need to wean off sugar for sure. :)

So I was looking in the Cookies! book by Pippa Cuthbert and Lindsay Cameron Wilson and found an interesting recipe.  The recipe Soft banana-blueberry cookies caught my eye because I had a ripe banana around and it had a substitution of peanut butter for the butter that sounded interesting to me.

I completely took out the brown sugar, because I thought the banana and the apple juice had enough sugar and I added chocolate instead of the blueberries that the recipe called for.  I did my usual substitution for the all purpose flour which is half white whole wheat and half white flour for the flour.

Soft Banana-blueberry cookies Adapted from Cookies! by Pippa Cuthbert and Lindsay Cameron Wilson

1 ripe medium banana, mashed
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1/4 cup apple juice
1 jumbo egg (It's what I had in the house.  The original did not specify egg size although I assume it was large)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup dry quick oatmeal
1/4 cup chopped chocolate (I used 70% cocoa chocolate)

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

In a small bowl mix the flours with the baking soda.

In a large bowl, combine the mashed banana and peanut butter.  Add the apple juice, egge and vanilla and stir until smooth.  Add flour along with the oats into the banana mixture.  Fold in the chopped chocolate.

Drop the batter by the spoonful onto baking sheet about 2 inches apart. (The batter is very wet and the cookies do not spread very much.)  Bake for 10 minutes, until set and allow to cool on the cookie sheets on wire racks for 5 minutes.

The results were definitely interesting, something to work with but not perfected yet.  The cookies taste like banana bread cookies, soft and cakey with little to no peanut butter flavor, but I think the chocolate overpowered the peanut butter.  They definitely need some more sugar and some salt which was missing from the recipe.  I will try this recipe again, but next time, I will use some of the brown sugar and maybe soak the oatmeal in some of the liquid ingredients.



No comments:

Post a Comment