Translate

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Experiment #13: Honey Coconut Oat Cookies

I have a secret longing for cookies.  I think about cookies for a few weeks and then I may break down and buy one at a local bakery or supermarket.  The problem with these cookies are they are often ladened with too much sugar, too much fat, and little to no whole wheat.

In my cookbook library, I have a book dedicated to cookies.  In fact it is called Cookies! by Pippa Cuthbert and Lindsay Cameron Wilson.  I was looking through this book the other day and landed on a cookie that seemed simple enough and quick enough to fit in to my busy life with my family.

These cookies are called Anzac cookies. The authors write that these cookies are based on an old recipe for scottish oatcakes, that were made by soldiers' wives and children and sent to their men during the First World War to keep them well nourished.

Per my usual protocol on baked goods, I immediately changed the recipe to half whole wheat and half all purpose flour.  Also, I greatly reduced the sugar.  I replaced the butter with a combination of oil and applesauce, because I heard this works, and I also replaced the corn syrup with honey.

If you would like, you can make these vegan as well, since there are no eggs in the recipe.  Just replace the honey with some agave nectar.

I suppose these cookies are not Anzac cookies any longer, but well, they taste good so who cares. :) Lightly sweetened and crumbly, these cookies were what I was looking for today.

Anzac cookies adapted from Cookies! by Pippa Cuthbert and Linday Cameron Wilson
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (the original calls for sweetened)
3 tbsp. brown sugar
1 cup dry quick oatmeal, I pulsed in a food processor 3 times for a rough chop
1/4 cup sunflower oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. boiling water

Preheat oven to 325 F.

Place flour, coconut, sugar, and oats in a large bowl and mix well.

In another bowl place the oil, applesauce and honey.

Put the baking soda in a small bowl and pour over the boiling water and stir to combine.

Add baking soda mixture to the oil, applesauce and honey.  Then pour this mixture over the dry ingredients.  The mix was very very dry, so I had to mix with my hands to incorporate the small amount of liquid into all of the dry ingredients.

Use a tablespoon to form balls of dough and place on cookie sheet. Flatten with your hand or a fork. This part is kind of tedious and time consuming since the mixture does not want to stay together.  Get out your aggression and squish it together.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Allow to cool slightly and enjoy.



I would try this again with something for more moisture.  More applesauce as they were difficult to form.

Beware!  These cookies are extremely crumbly.  You'll need a napkin or plate to catch all those delicious crumbs.  I can see eating the crumbled bits like a granola with milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment