Translate

Friday, March 1, 2013

Experiment #16: Dried Fruit and Nut Bites: Failure

I have been eyeing this recipe on the Martha Stewart web-site while looking for healthy snacks.  It seems easy enough.  Dried fruit of your choice and nuts and seeds of your choice.

There was no real guidance as to which fruits, nuts and seeds they used, so I used for the fruit dried figs, dried cranberries, dried apricots, and unsweetened coconut flakes.  For the nuts/seeds, I chose sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.  I read in the reviews that the amount of nuts and seeds recommended in the recipe, 2 cups was too much for the amount of fruit, so I reduced it to 1 1/2 cups.

Dried Fruit and Nut Bites from Martha Stewart web-site
2 cups mixed dried fruit (I used 1/2 cup each of figs, cranberries, apricots, and coconut flakes)
1 1/2 cups raw mixed nuts and seeds
cinnamon
coarse salt
1/3 cup raw sesame seeds

In a food processor, pulse dried fruit; transfer to a bowl.



Pulse nuts and seeds in a food processor and add to dried fruit with a 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
Knead together and form 1 inch balls; roll each ball in sesame seeds.

This recipe did not work at all with my combination of dried fruit.  I suppose I need to use dried fruit with a little more stickiness.  More dried apricots or some raisins next time?  My husband said that it was delicious over cereal so it was not a total failure.  :)

Link to the recipe:
http://www.wholeliving.com/151439/dried-fruit-and-nut-bites

No comments:

Post a Comment