Translate

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Experiment #27: Homemade Granola

I have been working on my granola recipe for some time and I think it still needs tweaking.  The recipe is a combination of two recipes on I found on Martha Stewart online and an Alton Brown recipe from the Food Network.

Over the years I reduced the sugar over time and I was using a combination of brown sugar and maple syrup, but I found that the brown sugar just recrystallized in the oven and so this time I tried to use just maple syrup.  I added the water a few variations back because the oatmeal did not seem to be cooked.

Nutty Maple Coconut Granola adapted from
3 cups old fashioned Oatmeal
1/2 cup chopped Pecans
1/2 cup chopped Almonds
3/4 cup unsweetened Coconut flakes
water
5 tablespoons Maple syrup
olive oil
salt

In a large bowl, mix together oatmeal, chopped pecans, almonds, and unsweetened coconut flakes.

In a liquid measuring cup, mix together water, maple syrup and salt.


Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and place on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 300 F for 40 minutes stirring every 10 minutes.


Enjoy!

The Results:
I enjoyed the granola, but I have to figure out the whole coconut thing.  The coconut seems to get overdone before the rest of the granola is done.  My husband suggested that I pour the liquid ingredients over granola and strain it so that the coconut gets the flavor and then pour the liquid over the rest of the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.  So.. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment