Translate

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Experiment #28: Not so Spicy Spicy Hoisin Chicken

Today I had a request from my husband for something we haven't eaten before.  Well, somehow I came up with the idea for hoisin chicken, since I had a bottle of hoisin sauce in my cupboard that has been sitting there for a month at least and I bought boneless skinless chicken thighs for lunch today.

I did a quick search for hoisin chicken and came across a recipe from the Epicurious website for Spicy Hoisin Chicken.  Since I was making it for my little one as well as my husband I decided to make it a little less spicy, I wanted to make sure he liked it.  The recipe only has a few ingredients and looked easy so I tried it. My modifications are that I used boneless skinless chicken thighs and I reduced the dried hot red pepper flakes and I added sesame seeds for some texture and because I like sesame seeds.

Not so Spicy Spicy Hoisin Chicken adapted from Epicurious website
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger (I used a microplane)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
Sesame Seeds

Preheat oven to 500F.
Whisk together all ingredients except chicken and sesame seeds, then coat chicken all over with sauce.  Arrange thighs, in one layer without crowding in a baking dish (1 inch deep). Sprinkle sesame seeds over top of the chicken and roast until chicken is cooked through and glaze is brown about 15 to 20 minutes.

I served this chicken with organic udon noodles and steamed broccoli.  The chicken was tasty, but it was very sweet.  I think the balance of sweet and salty was not quite there.  I would make this again, but next time I will reduce the hoisin next time and increase the soy sauce.

Link to the recipe:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spicy-Hoisin-Chicken-108096

No comments:

Post a Comment