Translate

Friday, April 19, 2013

Experiment #26: Pork Medallions with Rosemary and Mushrooms

I was feeling like making pork tenderloin tonight.  I really enjoy making pork because it is very quick cooking and very versatile.

I decided upon a recipe that I have never tried before Pork Medallions with Rosemary and Mushrooms.   The recipe comes from a book a friend of my gave me a few years ago the I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook by Cherie Mercer Twohy.

I was making this pork tenderloin for my family, including my 10 1/2 month old, so I decided to replace the red wine with chicken broth.  I also removed the creme fraiche, because well, I forgot to buy it.  I also added chopped red onion since I thought it would add another delicious note.  You can use a yellow onion. I just used what I had around.

Pork Medallions with Rosemary with Mushrooms adapted from I Love Trader Joe's Party cookbook by Cherie Mercer Twohy
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds Pork tenderloin sliced into 1/4 inch thick medallions
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small red onion chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
salt and pepper
8 oz. organic white mushrooms, sliced
1 cup chicken broth

Season pork medallions generously with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in a saute pan over medium low heat and working in batches sear all the medallions on both sides about 3 minutes and remove to a platter.  When all the pork is seared, saute garlic, onion and rosemary until fragrant about 1 to 2 minutes.  Add mushrooms and saute until tender, about 6 minutes.


Carefully add chicken broth, bring to a boil and reduce heat scraping the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.  Simmer until reduced by half, 5 to 6 minutes.

Add pork medallions and any accumulated juices to sauce, and simmer until pork is cooked through.  Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.

The pork was incredibly tender and the mushrooms and rosemary gave the dish a delightful earthiness.   I would definitely make this dish again.  My only thing is that I would add more mushrooms and more chicken broth.  I always seem to want more sauce.  :)

The dish was incredibly fast and delicious.   It is easy enough to make on a weeknight and fancy enough for a date night.

No comments:

Post a Comment