Translate

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Experiment #25: Vegan Chocolate Truffles

I have been eyeing this recipe for Dark Chocolate Truffles from Whole Living Magazine from December 2012 and I was itching for an excuse to make them. It is my friend's birthday on Monday and my sister in law was visiting from Hawaii so I thought it might be nice to give this Vegan Chocolate truffle recipe a try.

The recipe is really simple, just 5 ingredients: dark chocolate, coconut oil, vanilla extract, sea salt and a variety of toppings, but I just used cocoa powder.  In honor of my sister in law visiting, I used the sea salt that she and her husband hand harvested from sea water that had dried on lava rock in Hawaii that I only use for special occasions.

I am not vegan by any stretch but I love vegan recipes because I can just think about making a recipe and I don't need anything perishable, dairy, eggs, etc. and I can make recipes in the flash.  I have never made vegan truffles before only traditional truffles which are made with chocolate and heavy cream.  No dairy necessary for these truffles so you can make these if you have the ingredients on hand at home.

Dark Chocolate Truffles from Whole Living Magazine December 2012
8 oz. dark chocolate (70% cocoa), chopped
1/4 cup organic virgin coconut oil
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Pinch sea salt
1/4 cup cocoa powder, for rolling
(Assorted toppings: cocoa powder, finely chopped nuts, toasted unsweetened shredded coconut)

Heat chocolate, coconut oil and 3 tablespoons water in a double boiler, (a bowl over simmering water), stirring until just melted.

Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and sea salt.

Transfer to an 8 inch baking dish and refrigerate until mixture is set but still pliable, about 2 hours.

Using a tablespoon, scoop a chocolate mixture and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet.  Place cocoa in a bowl and roll rough balls in the cocoa coating the exterior.

Refrigerate on parchment lined baking sheet 10 minutes to firm up.

Enjoy!

The flavor of the coconut came through in this truffle.  The velvety texture was amazing!  I enjoy salty and sweet flavors and I thought a bit more sea salt would be nice.  They were delicious and extremely decadent. I found that I did could not possibly make 28 truffles that were 1 inch balls.  I think I ended up with 17?  They were pretty decadent though, maybe I should have used a teaspoon to scoop the balls.  I ended up eating half a truffle at the time because they were so rich.

These truffles can be refrigerated in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.  I found that they get too hard to enjoy so if you want them at perfect eating temperature it would be best to let them sit out for at least 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment