Translate

Monday, May 27, 2013

Experiment #29 & 30: Grilled Lamb with Tzatziki in Flatbread Sandwiches

I was feeling like having lamb today and so I went to the store to see what looked good.  I cannot believe how expensive lamb can be.  $11.49 per pound later, I arrived home with New Zealand Lamb Loin chops from Atkins Ranch.

I enjoy lamb gyros and this recipe is inspired by it.  The idea is delicious grilled lamb slathered creamy delicious tzatziki sauce, with lettuce and tomato.  Ok.  I'm ready.  When do we get to eat..

I seasoned the lamb with kosher salt, pepper, and garlic powder, which is what I season most every meat that comes into my house.

This recipe comes from the book Grill! from Pippa Cuthebert & Lindsay Cameron Wilson. I did not buy lamb steaks like the recipe calls for and purchased lamb loin chops instead.  Also, the original recipe calls for homemade flatbread, which I did not have the time to make so I purchased it.  If you can't find flatbread, I might use pita bread cut in half to make a sandwich or if you have access to some  Naan bread.

Gyros: Lamb and Tzatziki in Flatbread
Lamb:
4 New Zealand lamb loin chops
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Garlic powder

I generously seasoned the lamb with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and garlic powder and let it sit overnight.

Take the lamb out to come to room temperature for at least 20 minutes before grilling over medium 3-5 minutes on each side or to your taste.

Let the lamb rest before you slice it to make your sandwiches.

Tzatziki sauce: (from my memory)
1 cup greek yogurt or plain yogurt
2 garlic, minced (I used a garlic press)
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/2 cup cucumber, finely diced
1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
salt and pepper, to taste

I made tzatziki sauce a while back and this is what I remembered.
For tzatziki sauce, it is pretty simple, but I wanted to try something my Mom had told me once a while ago. She makes her own yogurt and she makes greek yogurt from her homemade yogurt by straining it, and so this morning I decided to give it a try. I had some Whole Milk Organic Plain Yogurt from Trader Joe's and I left it in a coffee filter in the fridge covered with plastic wrap for a few hours, and it worked!  Who knew greek style yogurt could me made so easy?  I love the thick creaminess of Greek yogurt, but my favorite greek yogurt brand, Fage is not organic.  Now I can make it myself!

Plain Organic Yogurt before straining:

After allowing to sit and strain:



My chopped ingredients:
Mix all the ingredients together and you are done!
Toppings:
Chopped tomatoes, lettuce

Middle eastern flatbreads (I purchased whole wheat flatbreads from Trader Joe's)

I warmed the flatbread in a cast iron pan and topped them with slices of lamb, a slathering of tzatziki sauce and tomatoes and lettuce.

Results:
I thought the lamb loin chops were delicious but a bit difficult to slice up nicely.  I should have purchased the lamb leg steaks.

The tzatziki sauce was very very garlicky.  I think it was too much, and I love garlic!  I would definitely reduce the garlic next time, maybe just to one clove.

The sandwiches were great and we really enjoyed them.  I would definitely make this recipe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment