Translate

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Experiment #31: Vegan Tangerine Carrot Cake Muffins

I was testing recipes for my little one's birthday party which is coming up this weekend.  I have always loved carrot cake but never made it before and so I wanted to test the recipes for the birthday so I didn't mess up.

The recipe comes from the book Party Vegan by Robin Robertson.  It is under her section for a Halloween party. The recipe was interesting because it was a carrot cake with dark chocolate frosting.  Perfect for Halloween.  Being that it is not Halloween, I was hoping to do a more traditional take on cream cheese frosting, but since I have already made a lot of cream cheese frosting, I didn't think I needed to test that out.

Per my usual, I reduced the sugar and replaced half of the all purpose flour with white whole wheat flour.  I eliminated the maple syrup since the recipe already had sugar in it.  I also used tangerine juice instead of orange, because I like tangerine juice.  While making the recipe I found the batter seemed stiff, which sometimes happens when you substitute whole wheat flour for all purpose flour so I added some water.  Oh, I forgot to say that I made the recipe into muffins instead of a 9 inch square cake.

Tangerine Carrot Cake Muffins adapted from Party Vegan's Orange Carrot Cake by Robin Robertson
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup tangerine juice
1/2 cup sunflower oil (I used organic spectrum brand)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup water (too much)
2 1/4 cups finely shredded carrot (about 3/4 of a pound)

Preheat the oven to 350F. Add cupcake liners to cupcake pan. (You'll need 18.)

In a large bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, juice, oil, vanilla, and water.

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients.  Stir in carrots until just mixed.

Place by the scoop into cupcake liners (I used an ice cream scoop to make them even.)  Bake about 18 minutes.


The Results:
The flavor of the muffins was good, but I was worried when I took them out and tasted the first one.  It was kind of gummy.  I might have over-mixed the batter because I added the water after everything was mixed in.  Another problem might have been that I added too much water.

I found though after they sat and cooled the muffins tasted a lot better.  They might have dried out a bit.

I think I might try this recipe again, but I need to modify the recipe.  I would use less water and maybe replace some of the oil with applesauce as I think they seemed a bit oily to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment