Translate

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Experiment #33: Carrot Cake Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting

Although I liked the vegan carrot cake muffins, I ended up thinking I should be a little more traditional for the actual party.  This cupcake recipe comes from Martha Stewart's web-site. She made mini cupcakes and I decided to make regular sized muffins.

I reduced the sugar and made the recipe 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white flour for the white flour called for in the recipe.  I also eliminated the raisins, because I like carrot cake without raisins, but if you like them then put them back in the recipe.  I liked the brown sugar in the vegan carrot cake muffins so I used that instead of regular sugar.

Carrot Cake Muffins adapted from Martha Stewarts Carrot-Cake Mini Cupcake recipe
Makes 12 muffins
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sunflower oil
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups grated carrot

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a large bowl, whisk together flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In another bowl, mix together the wet ingredients: sugar, eggs, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla until combined.

Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients until combined.  Stir in the grated carrot just until combined.

Place muffin liners in muffin pan and add batter to each muffin cup.  I used an ice cream scoop so that they would be uniform.

Bake until a cake tester comes out clean.  It took my oven about 18 to 20 minutes, but always make sure not to overbake your cakes.  Check them around 18 minutes.  Overbaked cakes are dry and not delicious!

I made cream cheese frosting for these cupcakes using organic cream cheese, organic powdered sugar and a splash of vanilla extract. (8 oz. cream cheese, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and a splash of vanilla). I finely grated orange zest over the cupcakes with a microplane.

The cupcakes turned out perfect. Slightly sweet and very moist.  I would definitely make these again.

Link to the original recipe:
http://www.marthastewart.com/343918/carrot-cake-mini-cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment