Translate

Friday, June 14, 2013

Experiment #34: Glazed Lemon Bundt Cakes

It was a birthday of a friend at work who like lemon.  Lucky for her, her birthday coincides with the largest cache of lemons in the history of our lemon tree at home.  We have so many lemons that unfortunately one of the branches broke.  :( C'est la vie!

Anyways, I remember looking at lemon cake recipes on Martha Stewart and finding a reasonably easy looking lemon pound cake.  I decided that I would make it into a mini bundt cake so that it would be a little cute cake.  Food is ever so much cuter when it's little right?  I also knew that she probably would already have a cake coming so a personal sized cake was in order.

Although I generally automatically change 1/2 of the white flour with whole wheat flour, I do believe that some occasions it just won't be a good idea.  This recipe is one of those times.  I wanted the yellow of the lemon to shine through the cake and not be muddied by the slight brownish quality of white whole wheat.  I love lemon as well so I wanted to increase the lemon juice and zest for an added punch of flavor.

The original recipe calls for mixing this cake with a mixer, but I just mixed it with hand using very very soft butter.  I left it out at room temperature for a while before I even started this cake.

Per my usual MO, I decreased the sugar.

Since I was trying to make a smaller cake, I halved the recipe.  This change caused a bit of trouble since I would need 1/2 an egg, so I decided to just increase the egg.

Glazed Lemon Bundt Cake adapted from Martha Stewart Glazed Lemon Pound Cake
Cake ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk
zest of 3 lemons
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup organic sugar
3 large eggs

Lemon glaze ingredients:
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup powdered sugar


I did the math if you want to do a full sized bundt cake

3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
zest of 6 lemons
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 sticks of butter, softened
1 cup organic sugar
6 large eggs


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter and flour 4 mini bundt cake pans.

In a liquid measuring cup, combine buttermilk with lemon zest and juice.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.

In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  You can do this with a mixer if you want, but I did it will extremely soft butter and a bowl and spoon.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Add flour mixture in three parts alternating with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Beat just until smooth.  Do not overmix.  (What this means is: add 1/3 of Flour mixture, then 1/2 the buttermilk mixture, 1/3 of the flour mixture, 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture, and finally 1/3 of flour mixture.  There is no need to be super accurate with this, but a rough estimate is good.)

Divid batter evenly between pans and smooth tops.  Bake until a toothpick inserted in comes our clean. These cakes took about 18 minutes in my oven, but as with all recipes, check the cakes early so that you don't overbake them and they become overdone and dry.

Cool 15 minutes and turn out cakes onto a rack.  Cool completely before glazing.

Dust with powdered sugar if you want or mix together glaze ingredients and pour over the cakes.

Results:
These cakes were delicious and very lemony. I would definitely make them again.

Link to original recipe on Martha Stewart's website:
http://www.marthastewart.com/344409/glazed-lemon-pound-cake



No comments:

Post a Comment