Translate

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Experiment #37: Broccoli Cheese Calzone

I was looking to do something different for dinner again and I remembered at the store that I wanted to try a broccoli calzone that I had seen on Martha Stewart's web-site.  I forgot it had ricotta when I went to the store and when I looked it up I realized I had to change the recipe a bit.

I had purchased premade almost whole wheat pizza dough from Trader Joe's as well as a 4 cheese blend they call Quattro Formaggio, which I love.  The cheese blend has parmesan, asiago, mild provolone and fontina cheese. I use this cheese blend quite a bit for various recipes, including my lasagna recipe which I use the cheese instead of mozzarella.  Anyway, sorry to get off topic, I searched the web for a broccoli cheese calzone that didn't include ricotta and stumbled upon a blog called "My Life on a Plate."  The broccoli cheese calzone recipe was easy enough and so I came up with this hybrid recipe between the Martha recipe and Keeley Powell's recipe.

Broccoli Cheese Calzone adapted from Martha Stewart's website and My Life on a Plate
Purchased whole wheat pizza dough (2 - 16oz packages)
2 1/2 cups cooked broccoli
1 cup Quattro Formaggio cheese blend (Parmesan, Asiago, Provolone, & Fontina cheese blend)
1/2 sauteed chopped yellow onion

Mix broccoli, cheese and onion.

I cut each package of dough into thirds.  Rolled them out until about 8 inch circles.  Place a heaping 1/2 cup broccoli filling on the middle.  Fold dough over the filling and fold the edges to seal the calzone.
Cut 2 slits in the top of the calzone.


Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.

Results:
I thought this recipe was a success.  The flavor was great and I was able to freeze some for a later meal.  Easy meals ahead!  Yes... One note though, I thought there the ratio of filling to dough was a bit off.  I would definitely fill them more, maybe 3/4 cup of filling next time.   I would also undercook the broccoli a bit as it got a bit overcooked for my taste.  I would definitely make this again.  This recipe was tasty and quick and left me with a make ahead meal.

Link to the original recipes
Martha Stewart's recipe:
http://www.marthastewart.com/313608/broccoli-calzones

My Life on a Plate Blog:
http://www.keeleypowell.com/2011/02/broccoli-and-cheese-calzones.html

No comments:

Post a Comment