Translate

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Experiment #39: Lemon Cheesecake with Blueberries

My sister in law and her daughter were coming to visit and we were hosting a big party for their visit and I was trying to decide what kind of dessert to make.  I am on kind of a lemon kick since our tree is still overflowing with lemons, so I decided to make lemon cheesecake.

I have used this Martha Stewart recipe before, but I have never made a double recipe, which was a definite requirement for the 15 person party at our house.

I replaced her graham crackers with these Speculoos cookies from Trader Joe's and omitted the sugar from the crust since these cookies are sweet enough.  For those who are searching for a cookie like them, they are crisp caramelized cinnamon spiced Belgian cookies (that's from the box.)  I hope that helps with substitutions or if you can't find something like it, you can substitute back in those graham crackers that were in the original recipe.

I also reduced the sugar in the cream cheese mixture and added more lemon, because I love lemon.  As a final thought, I tumbled fresh blueberries over the cheesecake to finish it off.

Lemon Cheesecake with Blueberries adapted from a double recipe of Martha Stewart's Lemon Cheesecake squares
11 oz. Speculoos cookies
6 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup sugar
4 - (8 oz.) bars of cream cheese (32 oz. total)
4 large eggs
Finely grated lemon zest and juice of 3 lemons
Fresh blueberries

Make the crust:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a food processor, blend cookies until finely ground; add butter and pulse until moistened.

Press the crumb mixture into 9 X 13 inches and pat in gently.  Bake until beginning to brown, 10 to 12 minutes.  Wipe out the food processor to get rid of crumbs.  While the crust is baking, make the filling.

Make the filling:
Place cream cheese in food processor with sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and lemon juice; blend until smooth.

Pour mixture into pan; smooth top.  Return to oven, and bake until set (filling should jiggle only slightly when pan is gently shaken), 30 to 45 minutes.  (I would check around 30 minutes. Just take a peak and jiggle the pan.)

Martha instructed to have the cheesecake completely cool and wrap with plastic wrap and chill until firm at least 2 hours.   I didn't have too hours so.. The cheesecake was warm and not firm.

Tumble fresh blueberries over this lemon cheesecake if you like, which I did.

Sorry for the out of focus photo... The cheesecake was going fast and I almost forgot to take a photo before it was all gone.  :)

Results:
Everyone loved the cheesecake. This cheesecake is a favorite recipe of mine and I was glad that a double recipe came out so well.  I would definitely make this again. Yum!

Update August 24, 2013:
I made this recipe with 16 oz. regular cream cheese and 16 oz. of reduced fat cream cheese and it was still rich and creamy.  Next time, I might even go with all reduced fat cream cheese.  I also made the recipe the day before I served it, and it was cool and still had a delightful smooth creamy texture.

Link to the Original recipe:
http://www.marthastewart.com/318031/lemon-cheesecake-squares?search_key=lemon%20cheesecake

No comments:

Post a Comment