Translate

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Experiment #43: Apricot Mustard Glazed Pork Tenderloin

I had every intention of cooking fish today, but the guy at the meat counter said it didn't smell good and thankfully he let me know.  So my plans changed to some other protein that is fast cooking, pork tenderloin.

I was planning on making some sort of pork medallions, but then I thought it might be a bit too fussy for a weekday.  I have previously made a recipe from Martha Stewart which is Pork tenderloin with apricots and brandy and thought that I would be making this recipe, but I totally forgot to purchase shallots.. Oops..

I stumbled upon a recipe on the Martha Stewart website that is supposed to be ready in under 30 minutes and off I went.

The recipe looked easy enough.  It only has 5 ingredients.

The recipe calls for spicy brown mustard, and I substituted what I had on hand, which was Chablis Dijon mustard.  The recipe also called for apricot jam, but I had organic reduced sugar apricot preserves on hand.

Apricot Mustard Glazed Pork Tenderloin adapted from Apricot glazed Pork tenderloin from Martha Stewart web-site
2 pork tenderloins
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1 cup apricot preserves
1/4 cup chablis dijon mustard

Heat broiler, set rack 6 inches away from the broiler. Place pork tenderloins in a baking dish and rub pork with olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.  Place the pork under the broiler for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk together apricot preserves and mustard.  Cook over medium heat until the jam melts, 3 to 4 minutes.  Transfer half to a bowl for brushing and leave the rest of the sauce on low to keep warm.

I flipped the pork tenderloins over and brushed the reserved sauce from a bowl all over the pork tenderloin.

Place back under the broiler and cook until the pork is blackened in spots and it registers 150 degrees on an instant read thermometer, 5 to 10 minutes more.
Cover pork loosely with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.  Serve with warmed sauce.


The results:
I served the pork with quinoa and steamed rainbow chard.  It was really a delicious meal!  I would definitely make this recipe again.  The whole meal came together quite fast.  I love it!

Notes:
The chablis dijon mustard might have made this recipe over the top.  As the sauce was heating, I almost felt that I was getting drunk off the wine fumes coming off the mustard.  It could have been my imagination, but if you don't have this special dijon mustard, I think a splash of white wine would make a good substitute.

Link to original recipe:
http://www.marthastewart.com/313041/apricot-glazed-pork-tenderloin?search_key=apricot%20pork%20tenderloin

No comments:

Post a Comment