Translate

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Experiment #44: Coconut Oatmeal Pecan Cookies

I have been having more of my cookie cravings.  It's been a week since I really wanted a cookie and so I decided that I wanted to attempt to make my dream cookie.

While I was pregnant with my little one, I ate this oatmeal pecan cookie at a local coffee shop.  I loved it.  It was delicious and really hit the spot for my sweet tooth.  I don't often get back to that coffee shop since my LO was born, so I am missing my cookies.

I wanted to make an oatmeal pecan cookie with coconut oil and decided to try to search for one online.  I stumbled upon a blog with a coconut oatmeal cookie.  Intrigued, I read further.  The cookies look great and of course I needed to work my magic and add more whole grains, reduce the sugar, replaced quick oats with regular oats that were processed in the food processor and this time I left out the baking powder and baking soda.

This last adaptation came from a mistake on my part while making cornbread waffles a few months ago.  I was busy taking care of my LO that I completely forgot to put in the baking soda and baking powder.  The resulting waffles were delightfully chewy and the family loved them better than the waffles I make the normal way.  How's that for stumbling onto a recipe.  A busy mind makes mistakes worth repeating?  :)

Anyway, here is my recipe for Oatmeal Coconut Pecan Cookies adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod blog

Oatmeal Coconut Pecan Cookies
1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup coconut oil (measured solid), melted and slightly cooled
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup pulsed old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together flours, and salt and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, coconut oil and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.  Switch to mixing with a spoon and then slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.  The mixture gets pretty thick at this point and you might want to get in there and mix with clean hands.  Stir in oatmeal, coconut and pecans.

Press the dough into balls and flatten slightly and place on prepared baking sheet.  The dough is rather crumbly and difficult.  (I think this is from my adaptations, but c'est la vie.)

Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes or until the cookies are set and slightly brown.

Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes.  Transfer to a wire cooling rack and cool completely.

Fresh out of the oven!

The results:
The cookies were delicious and crumbly and we loved them.  It was not exactly what I was searching for in my dream cookie.  I will have to work on it to get it to where I want it, but this attempt was an excellent start.  I would definitely make these cookies again.  

I was surprised at how sweet these cookies were considering that I used less than half the original recipe's sugar.  I am wondering if the coconut oil is sweet and this sent my cookies a bit overly sweet for my taste.  I would reduce the sugar slightly and they would be perfect for me, but of course I like most of my treats less sweet than most.

Link to the original recipe:
http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/chewy-coconut-oatmeal-cookies/

No comments:

Post a Comment