Translate

Friday, August 23, 2013

Experiment #47: Tabbouleh

My husband just love tabbouleh so he is my taste tester for the perfect tabbouleh.  He likes it with lots of parsley and very lemony and this recipe is from several iterations for the perfect balance of flavor.

I had not made tabbouleh in a while, so at the beginning of the week I started with a recipe from the back of a Trader Joe's Organic Bulgur Wheat box that I have had for many many years.  While making the recipe, I realized that the amount of bulgur wheat was twice as much as we wanted.  I only used half the bulgur for the recipe and then there was not enough dressing for the tabbouleh.

Tonight I started with half the bulgur and the same amount of dressing and the results were just perfect.

Tabbouleh adapted from Trader Joe's recipe off organic bulgur wheat box
1/2 cup bulgur wheat
3/4 cup boiling water
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 garlic cloves minced
2 bunches of curley parsley, chopped
4 green onions, minced
1/2 english cucumber, sliced and roughly diced

Place bulgur wheat and salt in a bowl and cover with boiling water and allow to sit for 30 minutes.  Pour over lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic over the bulgur and then allow to rest for 2 to 3 hours.

Pick the leaves off of 2 bunches of parsley and chop.  I used a food processor for this process as chopping that much parsley by hand is tedious.

Add parsley, green onions and cucumber to bulgur wheat and serve.

Results:
I would definitely make this recipe again.  The fresh taste, light oniony flavor, bright lemony tartness and crisp cucumber is a winning combination.  Yum!

Update 8/30/13:
I made this recipe with an addition of 1 cup of chopped tomatoes from our garden.  They added a delicious sweetness, because they were perfectly ripe and I would definitely make it again with tomatoes if I have them next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment