Translate

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Experiment #42: Curry Chicken

A lost recipe from July 31st, 2012:

I have been feeling like having some curry chicken recently and so I went onto my family's website and checked out my Aunt's recipe for her curry chicken.  She has made it on several family gatherings and it is delicious!

One thing of note is that my family, i.e. my mom, aunt's and grandmother swear by this particular brand of curry powder.  Sun Brand Madras Curry powder.  It is the best curry powder they say so, I was happy to purchase some and have that on hand to make this curry chicken.

Photo of the Curry Powder tin:


I modified my Aunt's recipe a bit when I made it and did more measuring, since measurements are not written into her recipe.

She uses red and green bell peppers, and I am not especially fond of green bell peppers so I used orange and yellow this time, although I've made this curry recipe with red and yellow.  Any combination of red, yellow, and orange is fine.  My Aunt uses chicken base, and I replaced it with chicken broth.  She adds potatoes, and I omitted them.  She also uses chicken wings in her recipe, but my husband is not too fond of those so I used boneless skinless chicken thighs.   I mixed up the method of cooking a bit so that everything cooks in one pan.  Less mess, less time and hopefully still delicious.

Chicken Curry adapted from my Aunt's recipe.  I'm not sure where she got the recipe from.
vegetable oil (I use sunflower or peanut oil)
1 Yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced fine
2 tbsp. Sun Brand Madras Curry powder
1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into rough 1 inch cube like pieces (bite sized pieces)
2 Bell peppers, diced (I used orange and yellow this time, but red bell peppers are nice as well.)
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon cornstarch
Kosher Salt, to taste

In a pan or wok, heat vegetable oil over medium heat.  Add diced onion, and garlic and sauté until softened.  Add curry powder and mix with onions and garlic until the curry powder is fragrant.

Add cubed chicken and sauté until the chicken is browned on all sides.  Add diced bell peppers and chicken broth.  Cover and simmer curry until chicken is cooked through.

In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 2 teaspoons cold water.  Add cornstarch mixture to curry and cook until the liquid boils and thickens to desired consistency.

Serve over hot cooked rice!

The results:
The curry chicken turned out very good.  I would definitely make this again and again.  The family loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment