Translate

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Experiment #50: Pumpkin Muffins

When the weather turns from summer to fall and there is a slight crisp chill to the air, I think of 2 things: pumpkins and apples.  Seasonal pumpkin baking for me usually consists of pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie, but today I felt like making pumpkin muffins.

Last year, I picked up a copy of Better Homes and Gardens Fall Baking Magazine 2012.  It is filled with delightful photos and appetizing recipes for almost everything you could possibly want for your Fall Baking.  Apparently it was exactly like Fall Baking 2011 so if you have that then you would have the same recipes.

Last year, I made the Pumpkin Bars with modifications.  My notes from last year indicated a replacement of half the all purpose flour with white whole wheat flour, a reduction of the sugar to 6 tablespoons, replacing half of the oil with applesauce and an addition of water.

From what I remember when I made these pumpkin bars last year was that I added too much water to the batter, and the pumpkin bars were very tall, because I didn't have the 15X10X1-inch baking pan they called for in the recipe.  I just had a 11X13X2 inch baking pan.

So, I reduced the water and I didn't have the baking pan issue since I decided to make muffins today.

Pumpkin Muffins adapted from Pumpkin Bars from Better Homes and Gardens Fall Baking 2012
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
6 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
4 eggs
1 15-ounce can pumpkin (plain, not seasoned or sweetened)
1/2 cup sunflower oil
1/2 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons water

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Place cupcake liners in a standard 12-cup muffin pan.  (This recipe makes 19 muffins, so if you have 2 muffin tins you can place 7 more liners in the second muffin pan.)

In a large bowl, stir together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves.

In a smaller bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin, oil, applesauce and water.

Pour wet ingredients (pumpkin, etc.) into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.

Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Remove to a cooling rack and enjoy.

These muffins are delicious warm or at room temperature.

The Results:
The muffins came out perfect!  Lightly spiced and perfectly pumpkin!


I would definitely make these again! I might try a variation on this recipe later, with additions of chopped pecans or dried cranberries.

Update: This recipe makes 48 mini muffins if you prefer. Check the muffins around 15 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment