Translate

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Experiment #56: Coffee Cake

I was going to a baby shower this morning and I had to decide on the fly what to make in an hour and a half.  I was going to try something new, but decided it wouldn't be prudent and so I made my Mom's coffeecake recipe that I haven't made in at least a few years, because I know it delicious and fairly quick.

My Mom used to make this coffeecake when I was growing up and it is pretty simple and scrumptious.  What more can you ask for?  The recipe comes from an old copy of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook.

I wanted to modify the recipe the way I usually do.  First of all I doubled the recipe, because I wasn't sure how many people were going to be at this baby shower.  It was a potluck, so to be safe I thought more was better.  I reduced the sugar by a half in the batter, but not in the topping.  I replaced 1/2 of the all purpose flour with white whole wheat flour because everyone can use more fiber.  In my haste to make the recipe this morning, I totally forgot the flour in spicy topping, but it was only 1 tablespoon so I was hoping it didn't make too much a difference.

Coffee Cake with Spicy topping
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use sunflower oil)
2 beaten eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 cup White Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Spicy Topping
1/2 cup light Brown Sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup broken nuts (I used coarsely chopped pecans.  My Mom uses walnuts)

Combine the vegetable oil, eggs, and milk.  In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and kosher salt.  Whisk together until combined.  (The original recipe tells you to sift, but I often just whisk instead of sifting.)  Add milk mixture and mix well.  Pour into a greased 13 X 9 inch pan.

Combine the brown sugar, ground cinnamon, melted butter and chopped nuts.  Sprinkle over the coffeecake batter and back at 375F for about 25 to 30 minutes.

The results! 

The Results:
It was delicious!  It was moist and delicious and sweet but not too sweet.  It was the perfect amount of sweetness for me, but I like things lightly sweetened.  If you like sweet coffeecake, I would add more sugar.  I will definitely make this recipe again as it was easy and fairly quick to make.  I am tempted to add more whole wheat as it was a fairly light cake and I love to try to add more fiber into my diet.  

A delicious version of this is to add fresh blueberries (at least a cup to the recipe.)  It makes for an awesome variation for a little something extra.  

No comments:

Post a Comment