Translate

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Experiment #53: Steamed cod with Ginger and Scallions

My husband requested some fish for dinner and so I went to the store to see what I could make.  I saw some local black cod and thought about my childhood where whole steamed cod was served in Chinese restaurants with soy and green onions.

I looked for a recipe that had the same feel and I found one on the Martha Stewart website, which was a less than 30 minute recipe.  I was up for the challenge.

Just because I can't leave well enough alone, I decided to add garlic to the recipe, because I love garlic.  It couldn't hurt.  I also decided to add the scallion whites to the ginger and soy, rice vinegar mixture in which the cod was steamed.  It seem wasteful to through this out since the recipe only asked for the scallion greens, when the white parts of the scallion would add a delightfully mild oniony flavor.

Steamed Cod with Ginger and Scallions Adapted from Martha Stewart's website
4 skinless cod fillets (6 to 8 ounces each)
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons tamari (or soy sauce)
2 tablespoons finely grated, peeled fresh ginger
2 finely chopped garlic cloves
Coarse salt and ground pepper
6 scallions, white parts thinly sliced into rounds and green parts cut into 3-inch lengths (separated)

In a large skillet, combine 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger, and finely chopped garlic.

Season both sides of 4 skinless cod fillets (6 to 8 ounces each) with coarse salt and ground pepper; place in skillet with vinegar mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cover; cook until fish is almost opaque throughout, 6 to 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, cut green parts of 6 scallions into 3-inch lengths; thinly slice lengthwise. Flip over fillets gently to keep them together.  (The fillets are delicate!) Scatter over fish; cook (covered) until fish is opaque throughout and scallions are just wilted, about 2 minutes more.

I served this fish with hot cooked jasmine rice and steamed broccoli.

Results:
This recipe is an easy, fairly quick meal.  My husband was very impressed with the recipe.  He loved the combination of the ginger and scallions with the tangy salty sauce made from the rice vinegar and tamari.  He said it was fancy.  So this could be a good dinner to make for guests.

I would definitely make this dish again and might try to make it with a different type of fish.

Link to the original recipe:
http://www.marthastewart.com/337271/steamed-cod-with-ginger-and-scallions

No comments:

Post a Comment