Translate

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Experiment #54: Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin

The following is often the scenario when I go to the store.  I want to cook some sort of fish or meat and then I come home with whatever looked good that day.  Today it was pork tenderloin.  I love pork tenderloin.  It's lower in fat than a lot of meat, and tender if you don't overcook it and it takes so little cooking time that it's a quick meal. 

When I arrived home, I looked for an Asian-style recipe for pork tenderloin and I found one on the Food Network website from Ellie Kreiger, one of the resident healthy chefs on the Food Network. 

I pretty much stayed true to the recipe, because after looking at the ingredients I didn't find the amount of sugar to be too excessive like some other recipes.   I did tweak the recipe a little bit.   I used sake instead of dry sherry because I didn't have any in the house, and instead of soy sauce, I use tamari.   I also added green onions on top, because I had some in my refrigerator for some added color and flavor.  Just a note, I marinated the pork for only 1/2 hour, the minimum time, so just keep that in mind when you read my results.  I mixed the marinade in the resealable bag instead of mixing it in a bowl, because why dirty a bowl when you are going to just mix it all together anyways.  :)

Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin adapted from Ellie Kreiger's recipe on the Food Network
2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon sake
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 garlic clove, crushed with a garlic press
1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Thinly sliced green onions
1 pound pork tenderloin

Combine the tamari, oil, sugar, sake, vinegar, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes in a resealable plastic bag and mix until the sugar is dissolved.   Add the pork tenderloin.  Seal the bag and marinate the pork in the refrigerator, turning once for 1/2 hour, or up to 8 hours. 

Preheat the broiler.  Place the pork on a roasting pan and broil for 15 minutes, turning once.  

I served this pork tenderloin sliced over hot chow mein noodles with a drizzle of the sauce and sliced green onions that was in the pan after cooking. 

Results:
Delicious!  A definite hit with the family.  I will make this recipe again.  It was very fast, easy and yummy!   Not bad for only a 1/2 hour of marinating.

Link to original recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/teriyaki-pork-tenderloin-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

No comments:

Post a Comment