Translate

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Experiment #58: Banana Almond Oatmeal Cookies

I was thumbing through the stack of recipes that I'd like to try and found a recipe for Best Oatmeal Cookies.  The recipe intrigued me when I first saw it, because it is made with very few ingredients.  It is dairy free, egg free, and if I had gluten free oatmeal it would be gluten free as well.

The recipe comes from the Trader Joe's web site in their dessert section.

So... My fiddling with the recipe.  I decided to just eliminate the agave sweetener since it was only 1 teaspoon and I was trying to make these cookies for my family which includes my toddler, so I substituted dried cranberries for the chocolate.  I also only had chunky almond butter, so I used that instead of the creamy almond butter.

Banana Almond Oatmeal cookies with Cranberries adapted from a Trader Joe's Recipe
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup unsalted crunchy almond butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup rolled oatmeal
1/4 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine mashed banana, almond butter and vanilla.
Slowly add oats to the mixture.  Add dried cranberries to the mixture.

For each cookie, drop a tablespoon of the mixture onto the cookie sheet.  Bake for approximately 14 minutes.

The results:
The recipe is simple, fast and satisfying and it was a hit.  The crunchy almond butter added a pleasant texture to these cookies.  It might have been a little light on the cranberries, but the cookies were moist and delicious.  I can see myself making these for a quick and fairly healthy snack.

Update:  These cookies do Not keep well. They taste good the first day then they get a weird texture after a day.


Link to original Recipe:
http://www.traderjoes.com/recipes/recipe.asp?rid=199

3/17/14

No comments:

Post a Comment