Translate

Monday, January 19, 2015

Experiement #72: Chimmichurri sauce

My husband and I have discovered these delicious tacos at our local farmers market.  The vendor, The Back Porch, makes tacos with corn tortillas topped with sautéed chard, a fried egg, bacon, and chimmichurri sauce. The combination is slightly addicting. I could eat three, but I probably shouldn't. ;)

The chimmichurri sauce is something I've had before, but never made myself. My friend, Rebecca, used to talk to me about how she loved the chimmichurri sauce that Trader Joes used to carry. She used to put it on everything.  These tacos made me want to make this delicious sauce at home.  

After searching for a recipe, I came across one on the Epicurious website. It's from Bon Appetit magazine the October 2002 issue.  It looked easy enough so I thought I'd give it a try. 

When I followed the directions, the sauce didn't look green enough to me so I added more parsley and cilantro. I did reduce the chile flakes, because I wanted my toddler to enjoy it. Oh, and I used Curley parsley instead of Italian parsley, because I tend to use Curley more than Italian parsley, and I forgot to look up the recipe while at the store. ;)

Chimmichurri Sauce adapted from Epicurious.com
1 1/2 cups fresh Curley parsley
1/2 cup olive oil 
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes 
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until the leaves of the herbs are chopped finely and incorporated into the oil and vinegar. 


The Results
It is delicious! Just what we wanted to eat. Enjoy over grilled meats like they do in Argentina or eat it like our family did and make tacos.  

Too a warm tortilla with sautéed Swiss chard, a fried egg, bacon and this chimmichurri sauce. It is a wonderful breakfast I hope to eat some time soon again! 


Link to the original recipe:

No comments:

Post a Comment