Translate

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Experiment #74: Blackberry Coconut Muffins

I was looking for another muffin recipe to try a while back and I tried this recipe from Two peas and Their Pod for blueberry coconut muffins. The first time I made them I reduced the sugar, but when my husband tried them he said they tasted too sweet compared to my usual "healthier tasting" baked goods so I decided to try this recipe again with less sugar.

I thought what might have sent the muffins into too much sugar was the sweetened coconut, so I calculated how much sugar would be in the muffins with just the sweetened coconut. It's 4 grams per teaspoon. I figure every sweetened coconut is not the same so you might want to do this yourself. 

This time I tried the recipe, I doubled the recipe, because I was bringing the muffins to school and I added blackberries instead of blueberries because they looked good at the store.  Doubling the recipe also left about a tablespoon of coconut milk in the can, so I just added it so I wouldn't waste it. 

Blackberry Coconut Muffins adapted from Two Peas and their Pod
3 cups White Whole Wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar (I used organic)
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled to room temperature
2 large eggs
1 - 15 oz can light coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
2 cups fresh blackberries, cut in half if big
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line mini muffin pan with muffin liners. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. 
In a separate bowl, whisk together coconut oil, eggs, coconut milk, and vanilla.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula. Stir until just combined. The batter will be thick. Gently fold in the shredded coconut and blackberries.
Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. I used a ice cream disher so all muffins would be the same size and evenly cooked. Bake muffins for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Transfer muffins to a cooling rack and cool.


Results:
I thought the muffins were tasty, but I thought the kids might not like them because they were so low sugar. I could have added more sugar I think next time. 

The kids seemed to like them and I would definitely make them again. 

Link to original recipe:
http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/blueberry-coconut-muffins/

No comments:

Post a Comment