Translate

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Experiment #78: Cardamom Coconut Almond Balls

When I worked more and didn't have children, I used to leisurely go to the Farmers market every Wednesday after work and take on the sites and smells of the produce and prepared foods. There is a stall at that farmers market that sells cardamom coconut balls for a dollar each. They are about the size of a golf ball.  They are so delicious but now after kids they seem a bit too extravagant and leisurely strolling through the farmers market is just not an option right now. 

I recently was able to buy one and I remembered how much I enjoyed them. So I decided that I would try to make them. The ingredients of these balls seemed easy enough, but I was a little worried about the proportions, but I thought I would just wing it and see what would happen.  

I did notice to my surprise that the balls at the farmers market had xylitol a synthetic sugar substitute, so if course I omitted that. The original balls also had coconut oil, which might make them softer. I ended up omitting it. The balls also had pink Himalayan sea salt, which I didn't have so I used the sea salt I had on hand. 

Cardamom Coconut Almond Butter Balls by Samantha 
1 1/2 cups oatmeal (rolled oats)
1 cup almond butter, raw and unsalted
1/2 cup coconut flour ( I used organic)
3 tablespoons maple syrup (I might use a bit less next time)
3/4 teaspoon cardamom ( I used 8 pods and crushed them with a mortar and pestle)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt ( I would use a bit less next time)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract



In a food processor, I pulsed the oatmeal until it was fairly fine powder.  I added the almond butter and coconut flour and pulsed until combined. Then I added the rest of the ingredients and pulsed until combined, stopping to stir so that all the ingredients were mixed in completely.  Dump into a bowl. 

Pick up a small handful and form into balls. I made them into about a tablespoon size balls although I didn't measure precisely. I just picked up a clump and squeezed until the mixture held together. It is very crumbly.  And you are done!  


The Results
I was very pleased with the results. They were delicious! I would definitely make them again. I might reduce the maple syrup a little and the sea salt as well.  Everyone loved them though as is.  I think it is possible that after I ground the oatmeal I could just put all the ingredients in at once, but I was experimenting and making it up as I went along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment