Translate

Friday, May 8, 2015

Experiment #76: Chicken Adobo

Another recipe from a while ago and it was another slow cooker recipe.  I was on a bit of a slow cooker kick.  This recipe also comes from Real Simple Magazine online.

The modifications I made were to reduce the onion from 2 onions to 1 onion.  It just seemed like too much onion to me.  I substituted low sodium tamari for the soy sauce, because that's what I use in our house. I also used boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of bone-in chicken thighs.  I didn't have bok choy in the house, so I instead steamed broccoli on the side.  I also thought that red bell pepper would be a nice addition to the sweetness in this dish.  I ended up cooking this one on the stove, since I ran out of time to use the slow cooker, but next time I will definitely try.  

Chicken Adobo (Slow Cooker Soy Braised Chicken) adapted from Real Simple by Cyd McDowell
1 large onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (I used Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar)
1/3 cup low sodium tamari
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 teaspoon paprika
2 green onions, thinly sliced

In a pot, saute the onion and garlic cloves until tender.  Add the vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, bay leaf and pepper.  Place the chicken on top and sprinkle with paprika.

I covered the pot and simmered it on low until the chicken was done.  It was maybe 20 minutes? The dinner rush got to me and I didn't put on a timer.

Serve with hot cooked rice and steamed broccoli.

Results:
The family liked it and if I had time, I would have definitely used the slow cooker.  The sweet and salty flavors were matched well.  I will make this recipe again.


Link to original recipe:

No comments:

Post a Comment