Translate

Monday, September 18, 2017

Experiment # 77: Lamb curry

I've been trying to make easier meals so that my family can eat more healthy foods that are different. I have been toying with the idea of a one pot meal and perusing my old magazines I found several recipes I want to try in an old Martha Stewart magazine.

This lamb curry is originally a pressure cooker recipe, but since I don't have a pressure cooker or the space to store one, I thought I would try to make it a slow cooker recipe. 

I was trying to decide what kind of curry this lamb was. It's not Thai, it's not chinese.  I suppose it's Indian? 

In case you were wondering, the curry itself had no chilis in it, so it was not spicy at all much to the disappointment of my husband, but I have to feed the children right?

I have made this twice.  The first time I used the lamb shoulder recommended from the original recipe and it was a bit too fatty for my taste.  So this time I used leg of lamb and I doubled the meat because the first time there was so much sauce left over and no meat! Also, my husband and I thought the potatoes were an unnecessary addition to the recipe, so I omitted it the second time around time.  

Lamb curry adapted from Martha Stewart magazine September 2014
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 1/2 cups Diced onions
6 cloves Garlic, minced
3 tablespoons Ginger, grated
2 teaspoons Tomato paste
2 teaspoons ground Cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons Coriander seeds, crushed
3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt, plus more for seasoning the meat
2 cups Chicken stock
5 lbs. leg of lamb, cut into 1 inch cubes

Cilantro
Yogurt

Sauté onions, garlic and ginger. Add spices salt and tomato paste.
Toss in the lamb and brown the meat. 

Place in slow cooker. Add chicken broth. 

Cook for 5 hours on low.  Add potatoes(or not) after 4 hours. When potatoes are tender, serve over hot cooked rice and garnish with cilantro and yogurt if desired. 


Results:
It was delicious, but the potatoes didn't add too much to the dish. I think I would omit them next time I make this dish. I think carrots might be a good choice next time.

This curry is not spicy at all. There are no chilis in it. While spiciness is not a problem for my husband and I, it is a bit of a problem for my toddler. I think we might have to put in a little kick to it. Just a touch and hope my little one still likes it.  He loved this recipe by the way. He never fails to surprise me. 

Update:
I tried this recipe again.  I omitted the potatoes and doubled the lamb.  I also used leg of lamb instead of shoulder in an attempt to reduce the fat in the recipe.  I was able to skim a lot of the fat this time and it seemed a bit healthier to me.  It was a hit with my sister in law and her husband.

3/15/15

Link to original recipe:
http://www.marthastewart.com/1078545/lamb-curry

No comments:

Post a Comment