Translate

Friday, May 8, 2015

Experiment #75: Slow cooker chicken masala

This was a recipe I tried out a few months ago, and I had not gotten around to finishing the write up.  

I was looking for some easy to make slow cooker recipes so that I have an easier time during the dinner crunch.  It is something about that time of day when the whole family is tired that makes it so difficult to make dinner.  If I could only make dinner during the day with a slow cooker, then I won't have that anxious feeling of "What am I going to make for dinner today for the family?"  I admit it.  I am terrible at meal planning, which really means that I don't meal plan.  It something that I have to work on, but that's a challenge to tackle for another day.  

So, I found a recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala from Real Simple Magazine and of course, I had to tweak it.  I doubled the recipe to make more servings since my family is a bunch of meat eaters especially my son.  A few other modifications: Oops, I forgot to double the tomato paste.  I omitted the cream, on purpose.  :) 

Chicken Tikka Masala modified from Real Simple by Charlyne Mattox
28 oz. can chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 medium onions chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 teaspoon garam masala
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs

In a 6 quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, tomato paste, garam masala, kosher salt and pepper.

Place the chicken thighs on top of the vegetables, cover and cook until the chicken is tender.  I cooked this on high for 3 1/2 hours, but the original recipe says you can cook it on low for 7 to 8 hours if that helps you.  I prepared it and threw it in the slow cooker after lunch and it was ready for dinner.

Serve with hot cooked rice and yogurt.

Results:


This recipe could not be easier.  Dump everything in a slow cooker and set it on low or high if you don't have much time.  It was tasty and easy.  You couldn't ask for a better recipe if you like Indian food and it's a bit heathier than other chicken masala recipes out there.  I would definitely make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment